Saturday, May 16, 2009

Willis Kids

Wedding Picture: Brittney Singer Photography










All grown up
how did that happen?



When Andy and I lived in Kentucky, my friend Laura asked if her kids would be friends when they grew up. She wondered since they were young and seemed to disagree most of the time.


I was able to assure her that in spite of the huge fights we had, as adults, we were friends. More than friends...


There have been times where the only person to call was one of them- for mothering advice, marriage advice, friend advice, church advice, or being sane advice. They "get" me like no one else does (besides Andy). They know where I came from. They know my history. They know my serious mistakes and they know what really embarrasses me. They know my secret dreams. Their confidence in me helps me feel capable. I don't know where I would be without their input in my life.


This past weekend, I got to see them. And marvel at who we have become.


J. keeps it all together and still has the fun spirit she had when we were kids. And she is wise.
C. has so much grace and class. I love to watch her quiet joy. You can just FEEL it.
B. is so talented and isn't the little girl I left when I went to college. (She is the same height as me!!)
B. is sooo smart and articulate. I had a really intelligent conversation w/ him and I hate to say, I think he is smarter than me. Ugh.
K. is married. The little girl with the pink cast is old enough to get married. She is spiritual and fun and embarking on the wonderful adventure.


I think we all felt blessed to be together. Blessed to be a Willis kid. Blessed to be raised with the gospel of Jesus Christ in our home. Blessed to have been taught the right lessons to make the right choices. Blessed to all be in the temple together- to have to recruit someone else to watch the kids. (K. thanks for the many times you had to do it!)


I am grateful Heavenly Father sent us to live in families. What a lonely, confusing road this life would be without those that "get" us. Also what amazing life lessons I have learned by being a sister, daughter, wife, and mother that have made me more loving, less selfish, and more like my Savior.


And to my parents- Kudos! You did something right. We aren't perfect. But we are pretty good. And we are so grateful to you. For the sacrifices. For your love and support. For the hard decisions. For it all.


And in spite of the huge fights ;), we do love eachother. And no matter what, we've got eachothers' backs.


Thanks for inviting us to wedding K. and J. Thanks for giving us an excuse to ALL get together.

5 comments:

  1. It's really amazing on how Britt can take the picture and be in it at the same time without looking all hurried from running to her position. If only Spence was there to take the picture. Then she wouldn't have to run so fast hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look like I'm ready to take someone down. Anyways, it was nice to know that you really do love us. It was so nice to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a question that I really loved you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that was a beautiful post, Amy. Isn't it so great when we grow up and realize how AWESOME family is? Thanks for reminding me that I need to be a little more grateful, a little more often, for the people in my life who've made me who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the best family ever... (despite the fact that I wanted to kill half of you 2 weekends ago). Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete