Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Motherhood- The Greatest Job (A Late Mother's Day Post)

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers I know. Sisters and Sisters in-law. My mom. Andy's mom. Our grandmothers. Women I have known in all the places we have called home. Your examples and influence have been powerful for me. Did you know that when Mother's Day was founded, they purposely put the apostrophe where it is to note that the day was for each INDIVIDUAL mother? Below are some powerful thoughts on this sometimes thankless, neverending, touching, and sacred job we have. I know that we are agents for God when we train up our children to become compassionate, responsible, and independent adults.

I type this as my 2 year-old throws a temper tantrum in my lap... He hates me now, but will undoubtedly come seeking a magical healing Mommy kiss before too long. It isn't easy. But it is worth it... And I am grateful for the journey and for these little people that call me "Mom".



Motherhood is the greatest potential influence either for good or ill in human life. The mother's image is the first that stamps itself on the... young child's mind. It is her caress that first awakens a sense of security; her kiss, the first realization of affection; her sympathy and tenderness, the first assurance that there is love in the world. ~David O. McKay

For the mother is and must be, whether she knows it or not, the greatest, strongest and most lasting teacher her children have. ~Hannah Whitall Smith

No job can compete with the responsibility of shaping and molding a new human being. ~Dr. James Dobson

The most important work we will do is within the walls of our own homes. ~Harold B. Lee

One of the ways we can prepare to be in the family circle of God's household is to establish a home as nearly like his as we can. ~Barbara B. Smith

A true Mormon home is one where the Savior would love to linger and rest. ~David O. McKay (This one makes me smile... Hope my home can be that.)

Keep the fire of your testimony of the restored Gospel and your witness of our Redeemer burning so brightly that our children can warm their hands by the fire of your faith. ~Boyd K. Packer

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the quotes and your thoughts. I hope you had a good Mother's Day. Motherhood definitely isn't easy, but it is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete