Tuesday, June 30, 2009

One of My Favorites






So A. is almost 7 and these pictures were actually before he lost two more teeth. Aren't they great though? :)


This boy is one of my favorite things about my life. He truly is a joy. I can't hardly remember my life without him. I got pregnant with him right after 9-11. You know that day when a lot of people said the world had completely changed. This kid totally changed MY world.


He loves documentaries. I actually Tivo ones that I think he would "dig"- dinosaurs, sea life, pirahnas... His favorite show right now is River Monsters (though we just started checking out Man vs. Cartoon. Thanks Grandma!). The host goes to remote locations where they have legendary run-ins with dangerous fish or an occasional alligator. He interviews the people, investigates himself, and then tries to catch one of the "river monsters". So watching this show has made A. super excited to go fishing. But he is very sure he wants to catch something SMALL.


So he tells me since it will be his first time, he needs to go somewhere where the fish are small. And he has been thinking the nice small fish he wants to catch "could be something like a tuna."


Now you may not be informed (or you may be like Jessica Simpson), but tuna are NOT small. Wikipedia says "typical specimens average 2-2.5 m (6.5-7 ft) long and around 350 kg (770 lb) in weight." So I had to laugh and let him know that we would fish for something more reasonable!


He is usually very informed. It was mostly funny at how I was surprised he DIDN'T know this.


In fact, I will never forget a conversation at the dinner table when he was in kindergarten... We were trying to get G. to eat. I was making car noises, airplane noises, boat noises, anything with the spoon to get his mouth to open. A. said that I should make a submarine noise, which took me aback since this noise wasn't as easy to replicate. What does a submarine sound like anyway??? So A. beeped for me like sonar and I felt pretty silly.


Then Andy trying to show how super smart he is, asked A. if he knows how bats know where things are in the dark, to which A. replied "yeah, it's called echolocation." Well that's one way to shut down your dad from teaching you things. You just have to already know everything!



A. is such a great kid. He tells jokes. He helps out around the house. He is a great example to his brothers. He helps clear his plate and put away his laundry without anyone asking him. He tries to do the right thing.



One of the best things about A. is his talent to believe. I really think that this is a gift from Heavenly Father. When he hears things of a spiritual nature, he easily believes. He has a great testimony that is truly his own. It is in his own words and is very meaningful to him. I can't imagine life without him. He truly is one of my favorites. :) But I couldn't decide which of these pictures was my favorite, so I just posted them all.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love him......and boy is he growing up! I missed not seeing him in May! He is such a sweet boy, and starting to really look like you! Give him a big squishy kiss for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can little A. really be that big?! I still picture him as a baby in KY. Darling boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea,
    That's how I feel about your N.! I love to see his pic on your blog and all the funny things he says about school. How'd we get so old??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awh, Amy... that was a beautiful post. Your kids are so great, it was so fun to come out and spend time with you and meet them. We totally need to do it again!

    ReplyDelete