Sunday, October 10, 2010

Light in the Darkness

So I have heard that if you need speak to God you pray, and when you want God to speak to you, you open the scriptures.  Totally happened to me this week.

I find myself reading message boards about controversial topics usually that have to do with the principles that I am trying to teach my growing boys.  And a mother that considers herself Christian can feel a little battered and bruised listening to the attacks on Christians these days.  I know that we live in a world where there is a lot of diverse ideology and everyone wants to be left in peace to live as they wish.  But I also believe in a loving Heavenly Father that gives us commandments to help guide us through life.  And I believe in one that would like to destroy us, and bring us down to his world of misery.  He is real and he has nothing but our destruction in mind.  So I believe that commandments aren't restrictions, but fences that keep me in the safe place, the place where I can find peace and comfort.

But I feel like those that criticize Christians don't know me.  They don't know that I love Jesus and I know that he loves ALL of us.  I try to treat people kindly.  But I also believe there are blessings in obedience to Him who knows and understand all.  But I worry for my children, that they will be attacked because they feel this way to.  Because they believe.  And I want them to feel safe, but some in this diverse world want to not only ignore their choice of lifestyle, they want to crush it.  So I have felt a little in turmoil about what the future holds for them.

I was heavy-hearted, but had to get dinner on the table.  My boys were doing homework.  While I was stirring the food, I opened my New Testament.  And I am not kidding, there were answers everywhere.  I started writing them down, as fast as I found them.  It's a wonder my dinner wasn't burned.  So in my hectic, noisy house, in front of a hot stove, holding a spatula, He answered me.  My questions.  And soothed my heart.  I am still nervous.  But not heavy.  And I have a list of verses I can return to when I need to remember...  I love the verse that says "I will not leave you comfortless; I will come to you."  (John 14:18)  He definitely took care of me this week.

3 comments:

  1. So true. I especially like your comment about the commandments not being restrictions but fences that keep us in a safe place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scriptures can always bring peace. Glad you had that experience. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything you just said!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete