Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Confessional

So Andy just got a new job. He has been working there for about a month and liking it. Good money. Good work environment. Only ONE job. Good benefits. And NO Saturdays!!!

But it's 2 hours away. And he is commuting and waking up at 3:30 a.m. So we are moving. And I am staring some things I dread right in the face...

1. I HATE calling people I don't know. Pizza place. Utility company. Owners of homes to look at to rent. Needless to say, everyday is full of dread. Andy comes home and asks me how many appointments I have to view homes and puts me on the spot. And today, I called a lady who was a friend of a friend. So yeah, she just rented out "a great home for a family". And I called too late. Because I have been putting it off. Stupid phobia.

2. I hate to pack. Hated it when I was leaving for college. Super excited about college, but the packing part, not so much. And I hate packing for trips. I look around all the stuff we have accumulated and I just don't even know where to start.

3. I hate cleaning. 'Nuf said.

4. Actually, more to say-- I hate cleaning what will be someone else's house, so I don't even get to enjoy it... And I will be moving to a clean house, but I am well-aware of how long it will be before I know where stuff is and don't have a mountain of boxes to unpack.

5. Oh, yeah, need to change my address w/ all the people that need it. So there will be more calling people I don't know.

6. I hate de-junking. Andy and I have had our worst fights debating the need to keep things based on their sentimental significance. So every time we move, the debate rages, and we argue. I am sentimental. He is not-- at all.

I generally hate change. So the transition stinks. I love getting settled. Can I just beam myself (and my family) past this part? Or pay someone to do it for me?

Now that I have stared my ridiculous personality down, I realize how ridiculous I am being. I am 35 yrs. old. I mean, come on. Ugh. Why can't I grow up enough that I can be organized, a natural de-junker, and a gal who doesn't get so tense just looking at a phone number?

As a side-note, I am trying to avoid thinking about all the people I am going to miss and think about all the new friends I will make. Because I LOVE making new friends. Silver-lining.

7 comments:

  1. No Saturdays? Awesome!! So glad you guys have a good work situation. Good Luck with all that moving business! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on at least half of those things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think of the alternative: stay where you are and never see your husband. I know what that one is like and trust me, moving is better! It is a mountain of work, though! We finally sold our house, so we are also facing house hunting and moving. I'm excited to move and finally see my husband on a daily basis, but organizing a move is never a fun process. And let's face it, Mom's are the CEO of moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want you to know that I feel your pain. Since we just moved to a new state. It sucks! There is no sugar coating it. I had a very hard time leaving oregon. We lived there for 5.5 years & loved it. I still miss it! BUT, I knew that I would need help with all of the packing, so i enlisted my awesome visiting teacher & she came over & helped me pack. My HT's wife came over & helped me pack for 4 hours. Trust me, you can get so much done in a small amount of time. I was amazed at how much we got done in 4 hours. Nearly my entire kitchen was packed. I have lots of kitchen stuff too, a big fetish of mine. You can change your address online with the post office for $1, and let me just tell you that it's worth it. Email me & tell me what area you are moving to. I wish you luck. Remember to take lots of deep breaths, and ask for help. This is what saved my sanity during our move. I hate asking for help too, but sometimes it is just necessary. One other tip, let your boys decorate boxes with stickers, pens, etc & then they can pack a couple of their own boxes. It helps with the transition process. Sending hugs your way. Congrats to Andy on the new job, that is really exciting & sounds like it will be an awesome place for him & benefits the family greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One other thing I just thought of. Boxes are so freakin' expensive to buy, but we ended up having to buy some Uhaul boxes. They were cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot. Anyway, I got lots of FREE boxes from our local liquor store. Yes, you read that right, Liquor. Obviously, we're not drinkers, but lots of the boxes come with the cup separators because the drunks don't want their precious alcohol to crack. Makes for a great box to pack cups & vases in. Also, you can just pull the cup separator out and use the boxes. They are really good, durable boxes. So, start collecting my dear sweet friend & cousin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I moved last July I felt the exact same way. Then when we bought a house in March and moved (in the same town, same schools, same ward) I STILL had a hard time. I loathe change. Even just having to change up carpools and driving routes make me crazy. I'm with you sister. But. In a year. You'll wonder what kind of change bothered you because you'll know you are where you are supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT!? This is a total surprise to us! I want to hear more..we'll miss you guys tons!

    ReplyDelete