Friday, December 11, 2009

Fasting


In his church class two weeks ago, A. learned about fasting when you pray for people. In our faith, we fast the first Sunday of the month for 2 meals and donate that money to the church to distribute to those less-fortunate. We also use that opportunity to consider those that may need extra faith and prayers going their way. A. was very excited and told us all about it on the way home. He wanted to do it this last Sunday.

On Sunday morning, I woke him and asked if he was still planning on trying it. He seemed really concerned and started talking about this boy in his class at school. It took me a while to understand why S. was relevant to whether A. would fast or not. S. is in a wheel-chair and I am not sure why, because he wasn't in first grade. A. told me that he told S. he was going to fast that he wouldn't be in a wheel-chair anymore. (Could he be more sweet and believing in the power of God!?!) S. probably didn't understand A.'s intentions because S. told him not to fast for him. So my 7 year-old was concerned that he didn't have a reason to fast, so should he still do it?

I assured him that he could come up with something else to fast for. He mentioned praying for everyone in the whole world that is sick. I told him that usually we try to be a bit more specific. So he decided on some people to pray for.

At church, he got a little hungry the first hour. Andy told him that he was hungry too because he was fasting, and then A. remembered and sat back down. He fasted the whole 3 hours and told me afterward that he was doing OK. He didn't even rush to the kitchen for lunch when we got home. We went to his room to close his fast with a prayer. He prayed and just said, "Bless all the people I am fasting for."

Andy and I were planning on having him start fasting when he is baptised on his eighth birthday and only one meal for a while. I told A. that and asked him if he wanted to wait until his summer birthday, or fast again in January. He told me he wants to do it again. I am so proud of him. What an awesome kid! :)

4 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. What a great kid & a great example to his primary class & family.

    If we were in the same ward then I would be his primary teacher. I can only hope that I make as good of an impression on my class as his teacher obviously does in his.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He obviously has a strong testimony of the Gospel and it is extremely obvious to me that you and his Primary teachers are teaching him well. It's so great that he had a reason to fast and that he had people in mind he was praying for. That's so sweet. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two should pat yourselves on the back!! You are obviously doing something right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet kid! I think a child's faith is impossible for Heavenly Father to ignore.

    ReplyDelete